Personal tools
You are here: Home 1997 Vol. 29 No. 3, July 1997 News SIGCHI News
Document Actions

SIGCHI News

Summary of the SIGCHI EC Meeting December 7-9, 1996

Same topic in earlier issue
Issue
Previous article
Article
SIGCHI Bulletin
Vol.29 No.3, July 1997
Next article
Article
Same topic in later issue
Issue


Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) December 7-9, 1996 Conference Call Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) January 29, 1997 Conference Call Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) February 26, 1997 Conference Call Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) March 19, 1997

Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) December 7-9, 1996

Participants

Elected Officers

Mike Atwood, Chair (non-voting)
Guy Boy, Co-Chair
Clare-Marie Karat, Vice Chair for Finances
Gene Lynch, Vice Chair for Conferences
Jim Miller, Past Chair
Barbee Teasley, Vice Chair for Communications (minutes)
Marian Williams, Vice Chair for Operations

Chairs' Appointees (1 vote for the Board as a whole)

John Karat, Member, Advisory Board
Robin Jeffries, Member, Advisory Board

Non-Voting

Diane Darrow, ACM
Steven Pemberton, Editor-in-Chief, SIGCHI Bulletin
Rosemary Wick Stevens, Adjunct Chair for Public Relations

(These minutes were created on January 8, 1997, and approved by a vote of 7-0-0 on February 26, 1997.)

SIGCHI EC Members at the December Meeting. From right, going anti-clockwise around the table: Jim Miller, Mike Atwood, John Karat, Gene Lynch, Rosemary Wick Stevens, Robin Jeffries, Diane Darrow, Guy Boy, Marian Williams, Clare-Marie Karat, and Barbee Teasley. Steven Pemberton took the photo.

Minutes and Prior Votes

The minutes of the September, October and November, 1996, meetings were all voted on and unanimously approved. As per the charter, committee votes that had taken place during conference call meetings were confirmed publicly via roll call.

Finance and Budgeting

Budget for FY 1998

The current fund balance stands at $1.3 million (US). This is well above the recommended amount of $730,000. The SIGCHI FY 98 budget was discussed and approved by a vote of 7-0-0 (C. M. Karat moved, Jeffries seconded). The overall budget calls for a net deficit of $130,412. This includes a new item of $125,000 for additional professional staff to support SIGCHI special programs and the annual CHI conference. The deficit will be covered by the fund balance. Details of the budget along with related discussion and line item voting is given below.

The income from dues and subscriptions is expected to remain about the same, although CHI Plus income will probably decrease, due to decreased membership. Income from the CHI conference proceedings will go down, partially as a result of the electronic publication of the proceedings. Additional income will come from the sale of videos and from interest earned. Income from conferences will be less, primarily due to the fact that CSCW is not having a conference this year.

Items in the initially proposed FY 98 base budget, with a net deficit of $77,198, included the Bulletin, the cost of EEC meetings, the development fund, and the chairs' discretionary fund. Following discussion, a number of other items were proposed for addition to the base budget. These included the reception at the CHI conference for contributors and supporters of the Bulletin ($500), creation, printing and distribution of a SIGCHI brochure ($8,000), support of local SIGs ($2,500), support for a liaison to various standards efforts impacting the HCI field ($7,500), and a contribution to the ACM SIG development fund ($5,000). The vote to add these items to the base budget, for a total base budget with a net deficit of $100,698, was unanimous (7-0-0).

Student Kits Proposal

One finding from the recent market survey done by SIGCHI was that members who join as students tend to remain members at a higher rate than those who join as non-students. Thus, encouraging more students to join could lead to increased, and more loyal, membership. Furthermore, SIGCHI is an active supporter of HCI education. To these ends, the proposal is to supply students in HCI courses with a packet of materials including sample publications (the Bulletin, interactions, Crossroads, etc.), an informative letter, a SIGCHI brochure and a membership form. The distribution mechanism would be via instructors, who would request sets of kits. Student volunteers at CHI might also receive the kits. There are several ways availability could be announced, including email (chi-educators) and the Bulletin. The instructors would be encouraged to incorporate the materials into their course. The project will be experimental in 1997, with 500 kits being made available on a first-come, first-served basis. Comments will be solicited from participants. A report of the experiment will be submitted to the EC. Budgeting for FY 98 was proposed at $10,000 and approved by a vote of 7-0-0. Teasley is the champion for this project.

SIGCHI Advertisements

One way to increase the awareness of SIGCHI and to attract and maintain members is to publish ads. It was proposed that ads be designed for and published in six issues of the Communications of the ACM and all issues of interactions. These ads will promote the organization, not the CHI conference. Wick Stevens will champion this project. The amount requested was $17,714 from the FY 98 budget. The vote was 6-0-1 in favor.

SIGCHI Brochures

The SIGCHI brochure was last updated in 1994. The brochure is distributed at conferences and by the ACM staff, e.g., in response to calls to headquarters. Wick Stevens will work on a new brochure, including content, with input from Atwood and Teasley. It will be modeled after the existing brochure and will seek to promote pride in membership. The use of multicolor-color printing is desired, if the budget permits. Because there is an ongoing need to keep the brochure up to date, it was proposed that this budget item be moved into the base budget. $8,100 was requested and approved for FY 97 by a vote of 7-0-0.

Support for Local SIGs

The Committee voted to move budget for local SIGs ($2,500) from a yearly line item into the base budget. During 1998, Richard Anderson, Adjunct Chair for Local SIGs, will be working to set up workshops to be presented at local SIGs.

Volunteer Recognition

Too often, the contributions of members to the organization go by without adequate recognition. A reception at the CHI 97 conference was proposed as one way to say "thank you" to volunteers and provide recognition. In addition, it will bring people together, help build a sense of community, and allow the EEC to meet some of the many volunteers to thank them personally. The reception will be held following the SIGCHI Business Meeting, which is scheduled for Wednesday, March 26, at 6:30 p.m. Because the task of individually inviting volunteers has many problems associated with it, a general invitation will be issued, inviting all who have volunteered their efforts in some way. A maximum of $10,000 was approved by a vote of (7-0-0). Wick Stevens will take on this task.

Status Reports

Election Committee

The committee reported that they currently have at least one person slated to run for each position. However, they are having difficulty finding people for the additional slots, especially when it involves running against an incumbent. (EC members are allowed to serve two two-year terms in the same office.) They are following up on various leads and recommendations that they have received. The SIGCHI bylaws require that at least two candidates be on the ballot for each office. However, approval for candidates to run unopposed can be obtained from ACM. Additional candidates can be added on later, based on petitions.

The Betty Edwards Course

C. M. Karat has worked with Richard Anderson, Adjunct Chair for Local SIGs, to bring in local SIGs involvement on offering the Betty Edwards course at a couple of different sites. It is likely at least one session of the course will be offered soon.

Additional Staff at ACM

Atwood reported that ACM is currently searching for people to fill three positions which will directly support SIGCHI. These include a half-time member services person, a contract for half-time web support, and a full-time position to support conferences. The ad for the conference support position drew about 250 applications. The top candidates are being interviewed. It is possible that by working with the existing ACM marketing staff, we may not need to hire a half-time person for member services. However, the first-year-member retention rate is only 35%. This needs to be improved, possibly through follow-up letters and telephone contacts. If staff is not available, then contractors should be hired. Hiring contractors is not the preferred solution, as having someone under Darrow's supervision would be more productive.

Publications

The move of SIGCHI email service from xerox.com to acm.org is progressing well. The timing is working out well as regards the roll out of ACM's general email service to members. The committee will ask that Perlman work with the Information Director, Keith Instone, to move ahead on plans to operate a jobs email list for members (CHI-Jobs). The various list services that are available, including CHI-Jobs, will be advertised on the SIGCHI web site.

As the experiment of publishing the CHI 96 and earlier proceedings electronically has gone well, the CHI 97 proceedings should also be published on the SIGCHI web site. C. M. Karat moved (Jeffries seconded) to approve such publication. The vote was 7-0-0 in favor. The proposal will now go to the ACM publications board.

Lynch moved (C. M. Karat seconded) that a link be created from the CHI 95, CHI 96 and CHI 97 electronic proceedings publications in the SIGCHI site to the ACM's electronic publications, and that the access status be made open as soon as possible. The vote was 7-0-0 in favor.

Society Status within ACM

Stuart Zweben is leading a task force for the ACM council to study the impact of SIGs becoming societies with ACM. No action can be expected from this group until after the ACM 97 conference. The SIG Board formed a additional task force, which will meet in January. Atwood will report back to the EC after this meeting.

Report from the Bulletin Editor

Pemberton reported that while there has been a major turnover in editors, the transition has gone smoothly, and he is pleased with those who have been recruited. Andrew Sears is the new editor for Education. Richard Anderson is the Local SIGs editor. Harry Blanchard is the new editor for Standards, and Shannon Ford and Frank Marchak are the new Visual Interaction Design editors. Allison Druin has introduced a new column on Kids and Computers. The web version of the Bulletin is undergoing some restructuring to accommodate topics which run across multiple issues, such as standards.

Operations

Williams noted that tutorials similar in content to those offered at the CHI conference, and with many of the same instructors, are now being offered commercially. If SIGCHI is still interested in pursuing traveling tutorials, then we need to act soon.

There will be an HCI education panel at CHI 97. The HCI course material repository project, lead by Andrew Sears, is making progress, and will have a meeting at CHI 97.

Development Fund

A proposal for money from the Development Fund was received. The Development Fund Committee will distribute its recommendation and solicit a vote electronically in about one week.

Conferences

Lynch reported that many of those involved in CHI 96 became aware of the rapid growth of management issues for the conference and the ever-increasing need for professional support. The CMC is now actively working to increase levels of professional support. Although contracting is a cost, total costs should be even lower with increased professionalism. Professional involvement will reduce the overlap, confusion and version control issues that now occur.

Financially, the conference was a great success, accruing $289,000 above surplus. $100,000 of this was an increase brought about by attendance, but the big difference was the income from tutorials. Ten percent of those who enrolled in tutorials signed up for CEUs (continuing education units), making the effort of establishing CEUs worthwhile.

There is a positive and continuing trend toward early sign-up, as encouraged by the fee structure. Having a vendor handle registration is working well. They produce reports and tracking as well. There was a 25% return rate on conference evaluations. In the final report from the conference co-chairs, they cite the use of the theme, the commons, and finding the right size for tracks and venues as big successes. The main problem area they highlighted is handling the publications, including the call for participation. Risks that they took included locating the conference in Vancouver, changing the fee structure, increasing the tutorial fees, and introducing CHI-Kids. All of these risks resulted in wins, although it is difficult to say which factors were most influential.

Allison Druin was responsible for CHI-Kids. The program was run as an on-site computer camp, not daycare. Corporate sponsors donated or loaned hardware and software. The success of the program has suggested that a track on Children and Computers may be viable with even the potential of a separate conference. One risk is that the program may siphon off corporate sponsorship that might otherwise go to the main conference. Ideally, the program should be grown, but kept within the core of the conference.

The model for conference content is maturing. Themes work well. Specific speakers can be invited in to support the themes, and as well as other engineered content. One element that is currently lacking is interactive experiences and the exhibition of developed products or projects and prototypes.

CHI 97 Status and Budget

Lynch presented the CHI 97 budget proposal. There are 20 new tutorials being offered, as well as the classics. About twelve corporate sponsors have been recruited. Fourteen exhibitors have signed on. The opening plenary, to be given by Rick Prelinger, will present views from the 1920's and 1930's of what the future (i.e., today) would look like. Douglas Coupland, author of MicroSerfs, will be the closing speaker. The proceedings of the conference will be published electronically, subject to approval from the ACM Publications Board. Publication will take place two months after the conference, using the same model as CHI 96. The impact on the sale of printed versions can be estimated at a negative $6,000. The major risk facing CHI 97 is that turnaround on all activities must be quicker, due to the earlier-than-usual date of the conference. Lynch moved (Miller seconded) for approval of the budget. The vote was 7-0-0 in favor. Lynch expressed appreciation to all who had been involved in the huge job of creating the budget.

Future CHI Conferences

Clare-Marie Karat and Arnold Lund have agreed to serve as co-chairs of CHI 98. Lynch moved (Teasley seconded) for the approval of the appointments. The vote was 5-0-1 (C. M. Karat did not participate in the discussion or the voting).

Karat reported that she and Lund have met and discussed issues and ideas for the conference. It is important for the health of the conference and the SIGCHI organization that conference chairs and others need not spend more than 5 hours per week on conference activities. This goal should be attainable with the increased use of ACM staff and consultants. The theme of the conference is "making the impossible possible". They propose to have three foci for exploring innovations: education, health care, and entertainment.

The co-chairs for CHI 99 should be nominated by January, 1997. Sites on the eastern coast of the U.S. are being explored. CHI 00 will be in Europe.

New and Ongoing Issues

SIGCHI Worldwide

SIGCHI wishes to strengthen its diversity by addressing the needs and concerns of all its members and potential members. One aspect of this diversity is the international makeup of the organization. Advances should be made in reaching out to HCI professionals outside of North America and making them feel welcome. Concerns include empowerment (i.e., equal access to and utilization of all services), maintaining cultural and linguistic identity, sensitivity to issues of imperialism, and terminology. Possible actions that could address these issues include creating an email discussion group, holding a SIG meeting at the CHI conference, promoting SIGCHI in Europe, and establishing mechanisms within the local SIG processes. Discussion within the committee concluded that, in general, using the term `worldwide' was more appropriate and comfortable for non-North Americans than `international'. Pemberton volunteered to champion this issue.

CHI Plus

The main objective of the CHI Plus package, which offers members a copy of the CHI conference proceedings plus other conference proceedings at a special rate, is to provide a service to members. This year, proceedings from UIST and ASSETS are part of the package. Historically, the EC has picked the bonus proceedings. This process takes time and is seen as biased. It was proposed that, in addition to CHI Plus, members be offered a package that includes proceedings of all annual conferences sponsored or co-sponsored by SIGCHI. Conferences that are not annual need to be handled differently. They will be offered at a discounted price prior to the publication run date.

Miller moved (Jeffries seconded) that an option be added to the SIGCHI membership plans enabling the ability to purchase CHI and UIST conference proceedings as separate options. Non-annual proceedings will be sold at reduced prices prior to their publication runs through membership services. CHI Plus will still be offered. The motion passed (7-0-0). Miller will champion this initiative. Miller and Darrow will create a migration plan from moving from the current offerings to the new offerings. The target date to complete the task is March, 1997.

The HCI Bibliography

The HCI Bibliography, which was created by and is maintained by Gary Perlman, has been residing on a server at Ohio State. It must be moved off of that site very soon. Perlman would like to move it to the ACM server, to provide a special service to members of SIGCHI and ACM, as well as to the public. However, there are certain legal issues which need to be assessed. Perlman has obtained copyright permissions from the publishers. Will these copyright permissions transfer? There is also the issue of ACM owning the database, while simultaneously being a publishing concern itself. To meet the upcoming deadline, it may be necessary to move the database at least temporarily to an independent Internet service provider. Jeffries will work with Perlman on this issue. There was a unanimous vote (7-0-0) to allocate $2,000 from FY 97 special programs budget to support any immediate costs. $5,000 was allocated from the FY 98 budget for ongoing costs (7-0-0).

Role of Adjunct Chair for Standards

The role of the Adjunct Chair for Standards and the rules that apply to that position need to be clarified and publicized. When the chair attends standards meetings or is otherwise involved in standards activities, they are not representing SIGCHI as a policy maker. Instead, their role is to provide service to members by reporting on standards activities that are relevant to HCI. Furthermore, when SIGCHI hosts a standards meeting, the chair should be present. Funds provided by SIGCHI for travel to standards meetings should be the funds of last resort. That is, if the chair's company is already committed to sending the chair to represent the company, then SIGCHI should not pay for the travel. Travel expenses cannot include the CHI conference. The handling of travel funds follows ACM guidelines, including the requirement for approval from the EC Chair prior to travel. J. Karat will contact Harry Blanchard, the current Adjunct Chair for Standards, concerning these policies. Support of standards activities is ongoing and should be part of the base budget.

Recognition Awards

The CHI conference affords a good opportunity to publicly thank and present awards to those who have made significant service awards to SIGCHI. Due to the public nature of such awards, it is important to agree on and publicize the nature of the awards. The awards will:

  1. recognize service contributions to SIGCHI, in all arenas
  2. provide incentive for volunteers to participate by giving them visibility at a conference and something to display in their office, if desired
  3. increase the visibility of SIGCHI
  4. influence the ACM awards
  5. reward those who have provided special service based on merit, not just on entitlement.

The input and nomination mechanism should be open and broad, eliciting nominations from all parts of the organization. The awards are not intended recognize contributions to the discipline of HCI. The awards should not be given only upon retirement from an office or position. Instead, further participation should be encouraged in an ongoing manner. There should be a number of different types and categories of awards, depending on the level of contribution. Awards should be spread across a number of areas of volunteer participation. Validation should be by area domain experts. Recognition can include publishing the award information and member activities in ACM journals, newspapers and other media.

As an action item, Atwood will recruit names via announcements-chi. Atwood and C. M. Karat will determine when and how the awards will be announced and distributed.

ACM Member Services

Membership recruitment and retention via services to members are crucial to the continued health of SIGCHI. While the facilities and staff of ACM are there to help us, we need to communicate to them the issues that are seen as most important and consider ways that progress along these dimensions can be assessed.

The issues, along with sample metrics (shown in parentheses), are:

  1. awareness of member retention (time series data)
  2. understanding what members want (surveys)
  3. active member recruiting (data on interests, disciplines, etc.)
  4. maintaining organizational memory re meta issues
  5. members should receive timely, consistent, and accurate information from their point of contact in membership services (customer contact log)
  6. resources should be readily provided to local SIGs for start-up and programming (feedback from local SIGs chairs)
  7. ready access to member contact information (membership directory)
  8. volunteers should be recruited and used (number of new volunteers)
  9. complaint resolution should be logged (complaint logs, with resolutions).

Atwood, C.M. Karat and Darrow will communicate these issues to the ACM Membership Services director.

CHI/SIGCHI Database Policy

The issue of the security and use of databases created in support of the CHI conference and other SIGCHI-related conferences was renewed. It has been determined that policy should be set by the SIGCHI EC. The components of a policy will include: what databases are covered, the infrastructure needed to enable the policies, general procedures, a procedure for handling unanticipated requests, and the creation of a case log to maintain a history of decisions. Jeffries will work with Williams and Teasley on this issue. A report will be produced by April.

Complimentary Memberships for Media Representatives

Plans were made for implementing the complimentary memberships program. The program will provide media representatives, such as newspaper and magazine writers, and TV journalists, with complimentary memberships in SIGCHI. This will increase their awareness of the organization, and lead to greater media exposure for SIGCHI. A maximum of thirty-five organizations will be included. Wick Stevens will draft and finalize a letter to be sent soliciting participation.

Reminders

Atwood will check with Michael Tauber and Steven Guest on when to expect their report on publishing the CHI proceedings on the web. He will also contact Austin Henderson concerning an online discussion site for the interactions Design Awards. J. Karat will report to the EC on the tradeoffs of a printed versus online membership directory after discussion with Wayne Graves at ACM headquarters.

Future Meetings

Conference call meetings will continue to be held on the same schedule, i.e., the last Wednesday of each month, at 11:30 EST (16:30 UTC). One exception will be the March call, due to the CHI Conference. The March call will be on the 19th. The second-quarter face-to-face meeting will be held April 11-13 in San Francisco, CA. The third-quarter meeting will take place in Portland, OR, August 1-3.


Conference Call Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) January 29, 1997

Participants

Elected Officers

Mike Atwood, Chair (non-voting)
Guy Boy, Co-Chair
Clare-Marie Karat, Vice Chair for Finances
Jim Miller, Past Chair
Gary Perlman, Vice Chair for Publications
Barbee Teasley, Vice Chair for Communications (minutes)
Marian Williams, Vice Chair for Operations

Chairs' Appointees (1 vote for the Board as a whole)

Robin Jeffries, Member, Advisory Board
John Karat, Member, Advisory Board

Non-Voting

Diane Darrow, ACM Liaison
Rosemary Wick Stevens, Adjunct Chair for Public Relations
Susan Wolf, Adjunct Chair for International
Arnold Lund, Co-Chair, CHI 98
Gerrit van der Veer, CHI 98 CMC Liaison

(These minutes were created on February 4, 1997, modified on March 3, 1997 and March 18, 1997, and approved by a vote of 5-0-0 on March 19,1997.)

Minutes and Action Item Dates

Comments on the minutes of the Extended Executive Committee meeting on December 7-9, 1996, were solicited. The revised minutes will be voted on at a later meeting. Champions for action items from the December meeting were asked to supply projected dates for completion of the items, or for the first milestone.

Public Relations

Wick Stevens reported that the selection of media-representative candidates for complimentary memberships in SIGCHI will begin with media representatives who cover CHI 97. The text for the re-written SIGCHI brochure will be ready next week and will be sent to Darrow and Atwood for approval. Requests for quotes have been sent out. The brochure is scheduled to be sent to the designers on February 14. Progress is being made on setting up the Volunteer Appreciation Reception following the CHI 97 SIGCHI business meeting on Wednesday of the conference.

Election Committee Report

Miller reported that a slate has been compiled for the upcoming SIGCHI EC election. Only one position is contested. The SIG board must approve the slate, and an exception to the bylaws must be granted to allow the running of single candidates in the uncontested positions. A mailing to membership will be prepared to publicize the slate and the process, and to remind members that it is still possible to add new candidates via petitioning.

Miller stated that many of the potential candidates they approached voiced two concerns. First, they felt that they were too busy to take on what they perceived to be a heavy time commitment for two years. Second, they did not want to imply, by running, that the current members of the EC were not doing a good job. The first issue, in particular, is evidence of a problem that needs to be addressed. The organization needs to do a better job of providing a more gradual way for people to get involved in the EC, allowing potential candidates to see what activities are involved and what the actual time demands are. Miller also noted that there is heavy recruitment of volunteers for the CHI conference, which is tapping the same source. It was agreed that the topic should be discussed in more depth at the August EC meeting.

SIGCHI Staffing at ACM

Trisha Irving recently started working at ACM headquarters in the full time position of SIGCHI Conference Manager. The next focus for staffing will be a half-time web support. Efforts are also underway to obtain additional support for Member Services activities.

Email Lists

Perlman reported that almost all of the email lists formerly on the server at xerox.com have been moved. There are 52 lists, mostly consisting of aliases for various SIGCHI positions and groups. The move should be completed by mid-February. The process has gone smoothly. The people at ACM have been responsive. A mailing list for job announcements related to HCI (i.e., chi-jobs@acm.org) has been created. The EC expressed its appreciation to Perlman for his successful work.

HCI Bibliography

The primary step for dealing with the ongoing issue of a permanent home for the HCI Bibliography is to physically move it to new Internet service provider. Keith Instone is determining if a separate domain can be set up on the ACM server. If not, an independent internet service provider will be used. Once the bibliography has been moved from its current site, the working group can start looking at issues further ahead. Instone and Perlman have proposed a SIG at the CHI conference on SIGCHI infrastructure. They hope to attract more volunteers for activities such as the bibliography.

January SIG Board Task Force on Societies Meeting

Atwood attended the SIG Board task force meeting on the creation of societies within ACM in January. The group reached a fairly quick consensus that ACM should have societies, that CHI and GRAPH should form the initial societies, and that while we should move forward as quickly as possible, we will need to experiment and learn as we go. Among other issues that were discussed were naming the societies, fees for non-ACM society members, management structure, membership list ownership, and membership renewal. The recommendations of the task force will be sent to the ACM Executive Committee task force, headed by Stuart Zweben. The March ACM Executive Committee is the next major step. The creation of society status will require bylaw changes. Miller stated that an important goal is to insure that all changes that occur as a result of taking on society status are positive.

Development Fund

The Development Fund subcommittee has recommended that a proposal submitted to them at the end of 1996 not be funded. A letter will be send to the applicants informing them of the decision.

Working Group on SIGs

Atwood solicited a volunteer to attend a working group meeting on local SIGs, which will be held the Monday of the CHI 97 conference. The meeting is being led by Richard Anderson, Adjunct Chair for Local SIGs, and Lina Iaccarino, ACM staff responsible for local SIGs.

Co-chairs for CHI 99

van der Veer stated that the Conference Management Committee will be proposing Mark Altom and Marian Williams as co-chairs for the CHI 99 conference. The proposals and resum├ęs submitted by the candidates will be distributed to the EC prior to the vote on the appointments.

Role of CMC Liaison

C. Karat proposed that the duties of the current liaison position between the CMC (Conference Management Committee) and the EC be extended to include communication with the EC on a monthly and as-needed basis. The liaison will work with the CHI Conference Chairs, the CMC and the Vice-Chair for Conferences to ensure that the entire EC is updated regularly on the status of the conference planning activities. Communications will include at least a monthly report. Other issues will be raised on an as-needed basis, or a report can be elicited by an EC member. The conference co-chairs will be copied on any written communications from the liaison and receive summary notes regarding any oral communications that take place. The ACM SIGCHI Program Director will continue to copy the SIGCHI Chair and the Vice Chair for Conferences on all CHI conference communications sent from headquarters. The liaison will communicate to the CHI conference co-chairs the relevant ACM SIGCHI policies and cumulative CMC knowledge related to conference matters. C. Karat moved that this change take effect immediately, commencing with the CHI 98 liaison, Gerrit van der Veer. Jeffries seconded. The vote was 7-0-0 in favor.


Conference Call Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) February 26, 1997

Participants

Elected Officers

Mike Atwood, Chair (non-voting)
Clare-Marie Karat, Vice Chair for Finances
Gene Lynch, Vice Chair for Conferences
Jim Miller, Past Chair
Gary Perlman, Vice Chair for Publications
Barbee Teasley, Vice Chair for Communications (minutes)
Marian Williams, Vice Chair for Operations

Chairs' Appointees (1 vote for the Board as a whole)

Robin Jeffries, Member, Advisory Board
John Karat, Member, Advisory Board

Non-Voting

Diane Darrow, ACM Liaison
Rosemary Wick Stevens, Adjunct Chair for Public Relations
Keith Instone, Information Director

(These minutes were created on March 17, 1997, modified on April 8, 1997 and approved by a vote of 7-0-0 on April 13, 1997.)

Minutes

The minutes of the December, 1996, EC meeting were voted on and approved by a vote of 6-0-1.

Public Relations Report

Wick Stevens reported that the text for the new version of the SIGCHI brochure was submitted to Darrow and Atwood, who approved it. The designer will have the layout ready for approval this week.

Candidates from the media for complimentary memberships in SIGCHI will initially be those representatives who attend the CHI conference in March.

The arrangements for the membership appreciation reception at the CHI conference are moving ahead. An announcement will go out in the final program in the special activities and daily sections.

Election Committee Update

Miller stated that the election committee has submitted the slate of candidates for the upcoming SIGCHI elections to ACM and the SIG board for approval. Because the positions are not fully contested, the SIG board will have to allow an exception to the bylaws. The candidates will be contacted soon for statements and biographic information. The campaign materials will be mailed to the membership.

Publications Report

All email lists have now been moved from xerox.com to acm.org. There are about a dozen existing lists that do not have overseers. Perlman will assign EC members to these lists as overseers. Their duties are to become a list member, and to monitor the list mailings for issues that need to be raised to the EC.

Perlman had earlier circulated a draft version of criteria for SIGCHI list owners on acm.org to the EEC. Based on feedback, the final criteria are: membership in SIGCHI, three recommendations from other members of SIGCHI, and the ability to answer a few content questions that demonstrate adequate knowledge of email list management.

Work is progressing on the editing for re-issue of the CHI conference videos from 1990-1994. The HCIbib.org domain has been registered with InterNIC. Perlman is waiting for a draft of a letter of understanding from ACM regarding legal responsibility for the HCI Bibliography.

Society Status

Discussion concerning the creation of societies within ACM went smoothly at the SIG chairs' meeting. There will be a workshop on April 23-24 to work on drafting bylaws for a society.

Approval of CHI 99 Co-chairs

The credentials of the candidates for the CHI 99 conference co-chairs, Marian Williams and Mark Altom, were circulated to the EC prior to the meeting. Lynch moved for approval and C. Karat seconded. The vote was unanimous in favor, 5-0-0. (Williams and Miller were absent during the discussion and voting.)


Conference Call Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) March 19, 1997

Participants

Elected Officers

Mike Atwood, Chair (non-voting)
Guy Boy, Co-chair
Clare-Marie Karat, Vice Chair for Finance
Jim Miller, Past Chair
Gary Perlman, Vice Chair for Publications
Barbee Teasley, Vice Chair for Communications (minutes)
Marian Williams, Vice Chair for Operations

Chairs' Appointees (1 vote for the Board as a whole)

Robin Jeffries, Member, Advisory Board
John Karat, Member, Advisory Board

Non-Voting

Gerrit van der Veer, CHI 98 CMC Liaison

(These minutes were created on April 8, 1997, modified on April 16, 1997 and approved by a vote of 7-0-0 on April 13, 1997.)

Minutes

The minutes of the January, 1997, EC meeting minutes were approved by a vote of 5-0-0. (Four voting EC members plus both Advisory Board members were on the conference call at the time of the vote.)

CHI 98 Conference Liaison Report

Van der Veer summarized and discussed the monthly CHI 98 conference report. The report had been distributed to the EC earlier electronically. This was the first report that has been submitted under the new reporting policy.

Election Committee Update

The election committee submitted the election slate to the SIG board, as required. The board did not approve the slate as it stood, citing the fact that only one position was contested. The election committee will elicit additional candidates by posting an announcement to chi-announcements, putting up a printed announcement on the messages board at the CHI conference, and making an announcement at the SIGCHI business meeting at the conference. The dates for the election-related deadlines are now off, and will have to be readjusted. The committee will work on a new schedule, verify it with ACM, and announce the new schedule soon.

Yearly Performance Feedback for the SIGCHI ACM Liaison

C. Karat circulated a draft of a year-end performance review letter for Darrow to be submitted to ACM. The EC was encouraged to submit their comments by the end of the day. In the future, the performance letter will regularly be created, reviewed and submitted by the EC. The review is done yearly, based on the month in which the liaison is hired.

Conference on HCI in Aeronautics

Boy is organizing a conference which focuses on HCI issues in aeronautics. The conference is planned for the week before CHI 98, in Montreal, Canada.

Reissue of CHI Conference Videos

The re-issued versions of the CHI 1990-1994 videos are being duplicated and are ready for release. They will be featured at the ACM booth at the CHI 97 conference. Copies can be ordered at the conference, and will be available on an ongoing basis through ACM. Perlman and Darrow were the champions for this project.

SIGCHI Appreciation Awards

Atwood announced that the following people would be receiving appreciation awards at the CHI 97 Conference: Gene Lynch, John Bennett, Allison Druin, Clare-Marie Karat, John "Scooter" Morris, and Gary Perlman. These awards signify SIGCHI's appreciation for the outstanding contributions of the recipients.

Same topic in earlier issue
Issue
Previous article
Article
SIGCHI Bulletin
Vol.29 No.3, July 1997
Next article
Article
Same topic in later issue
Issue

 

Powered by Plone CMS, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: