Personal tools
You are here: Home 1998 Vol.30 No.1, January 1998 Conference Call Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) Monday, September 29, 1997
Document Actions

Conference Call Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) Monday, September 29, 1997

Telephone Conference Call Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) Monday, September 29, 1997 1530-1700 Universal Time Coordinated


Participants

Elected Officers

Chair (non-voting), Mike Atwood
Past Chair, Jim Miller
Executive Vice-chair, Guy Boy
Vice-chair for Operations, Bob Mack
Vice-chair for Conferences, Gerrit van der Veer
Vice-chair for Publications, Dan Olsen, Jr.
Vice-chair for Finance, Jean Scholtz
Vice-chair for Communications, Cathleen Wharton (minutes)

Appointed

Advisory Board (1 vote) John Karat, Allison Druin, Richard Anderson

Non-Voting

SIGCHI Bulletin Editor-in-Chief, Steven Pemberton
ACM SIGCHI Program Director, David Riederman
Adjunct-chair for Public Relations, Rosemary Wick Stevens
SIGCHI Information Director, Keith Instone

(These minutes were created on October 4, 1997, and approved by a vote of 8-0-0 on 7 October 1997.)

SIGCHI Budget Template

Jean Scholtz

All members of the SIGCHI EC were requested to review the SIGCHI budget template in preparation for the December budget meeting. Jean Scholtz needs completed SIGCHI EC member budget proposals no later than the 31st of October. Jean has also posted a request for budget proposals to the SIGCHI membership via the CHI-announcements listserve, to bring in proposals from the general SIGCHI membership. After Jean receives all of the proposals, she and David Riederman will work to assemble the packets for our review at the December meeting.

To better facilitate the budget review and approval process, SIGCHI EC members need to make their proposals into reasonably-sized packages that stand alone. That is, the packages should not be structured to include a comprehensive suite of proposals, rather they should include smaller, individual program proposals. Jean and Mike Atwood will locate past proposals to provide examples of the same.

SIGCHI Annual Financial Report

Jean Scholtz

The Annual SIGCHI Financial Report has been written and will be published in the next edition of the SIGCHI Bulletin.

SPAM on SIGCHI E-mail Lists

The SIGCHI EC has been discussing approaches to handling SPAM e-mail messages on the various SIGCHI e-mail lists. The consensus is that we don't need to take action right now, but that we need to continue to monitor the situation.

The ACM Society Issue and SIGCHI

On behalf of the ACM SIGCHI Executive Committee and the HCI (human-computer interaction) community that SIGCHI serves, Mike Atwood has prepared a response to the Adhoc Committee on "ACM Societies Draft Report" of August 13th, 1997. The SIGCHI EC agreed by consensus to support the response prepared by Mike and agreed that it should be sent to Stu Zweben, the Committee Chair. Mike will follow-up with Stu after his response has been sent and report back to the SIGCHI EC.

ACM Policy '98 Conference

The ACM Policy '98 Conference will be held in Washington, DC on May 10-12, 1998. The conference is being sponsored by the USACM Committee (U. S. ACM Public Policy Committee) in Cooperation with SIGCAS, SIGGRAPH, and SIGCHI. The purpose of the conference is to help computer professionals better shape future applications of computing by establishing a professional foundation that can work with U.S. policymakers. The co-chairs of this conference are Ben Shneiderman, (USACM, University of Maryland) and C. Dianne Martin, (Chair of ACM SIGCAS, George Washington University).

Gerrit van der Veer is working on a solution to ensure that SIGCHI's views will be well represented at this conference. Toward this end, Austin Henderson has been asked to serve as the ACM Policy '98 Conference Liaison on behalf of SIGCHI.

SIGCHI Development Fund Project Proposals

Steven Pemberton's proposal regarding a SIGCHI Russian Infrastructure to build a SIGCHI Web Site and also translate the SIGCHI Bulletin into Russian was further discussed. We have received feedback on our questions to the relevant parties in Russia and Moscow and everything is now set to adequately support the proposal.

Guy Boy made a motion to approve this proposal as discussed, and Jean Scholtz seconded the motion. The SIGCHI EC voted unanimously (8-0) to fund this. The proposal was funded for the amount of $8685 to cover the necessary hardware costs.

John Karat also noted that the SIGCHI EC needs to further develop its international strategy as it relates to funding proposals such as this one. This item will need to be addressed as part of the SIGCHI World-wide Issues Team. The Russian Infrastructure vote was not intended to set precedent for funding of other such initiatives.

Working Groups

The three SIGCHI EC working groups, as formed at the August 1997 meeting, shared with the rest of the EC their progress. The three working groups are the (1) World-wide Issues Team (Guy Boy, Richard Anderson, Steven Pemberton, and Cathleen Wharton), (2) Membership and Volunteerism Team (Allison Druin, Rosemary Wick Stevens, David Riederman, and Jean Scholtz), and the (3) Conferences Team (Gerrit van der Veer, John Karat, Mike Atwood, and Bob Mack).

At this meeting we discussed in detail the work of World-wide Issues Team. Richard Anderson presented the report for his team during the call. We will discuss in more detail the other teams' efforts in subsequent SIGCHI EC meetings. For the next meeting, Gerrit will disseminate to the EC a draft of his team's report prior to the next conference call.

Some of the key plans put forth by this working group are highlighted below. The overarching goal of this working group is to continue supporting a world-wide HCI presence by actively supporting and nurturing regional and national groups, and by further developing awareness and education of cultural differences and similarities.

The proposal that is being drafted describes seven "mechanisms" via which SIGCHI can use to better support a world-wide HCI presence. These seven mechanisms are outlined briefly as follows.

Electronic Presence

  • support the development of national language versions of HCI resources on the Web;
  • support the establishment of regional Web sites;
  • expand other elements of electronic networking services.

Conferences and Workshops

  • develop and support more workshops, both freestanding and at conferences, to increase, develop, and promote local activities;
  • increase local group presence and visibility at SIGCHI-supported conferences;
  • expand the Development Consortium initiated at CHI 97.

Publications

  • encourage more regional and cultural articles for the SIGCHI Bulletin;
  • spearhead a special issue of another appropriate publication dedicated to world-wide HCI practices

Cooperating Societies

  • create stronger alliances with other HCI(-related) groups where Local SIGs aren't needed.

Local SIGs:

  • improve the mechanisms for fostering the creation of Local SIGs;
  • continue and enhance services for Local SIGs;
  • encourage communication and provision of support among Local SIGs;
  • plan for what Local SIGs will look like under the Society umbrella.

Grants and Programs

  • develop a grant mechanism for developing local groups;
  • ease the financial burdens of HCI professionals in soft currency areas;
  • support the exchange of HCI educational methods and HCI practices world-wide.

The SIGCHI Executive Committee

  • develop its understanding of world-wide organizational needs;
  • develop its understanding of Local SIGs and local needs;
  • help Local SIGs better understand SIGCHI and the EC;
  • actively seek volunteers world-wide and from Local SIGs for core activities.

More details on this working group's efforts are being documented in a report (underway). The working draft version of this report will be shared with the SIGCHI EC soon.

Volunteer Task Forces

The SIGCHI EC Membership and Volunteerism team (Allison Druin, Rosemary Wick Stevens, David Riederman, and Jean Scholtz) has identified seven task forces that are needed to strengthen SIGCHI membership. These seven task forces follow.

  1. international (already exists)
  2. HCI education (sort of exists, needs direct EC contact)
  3. domain issues in HCI
  4. industry issues
  5. university issues
  6. government agency issues
  7. membership retention.

The SIGCHI EC members now need to decide which task forces are of most interest to them personally and then send their preferences to Allison Druin no later than October 7, 1997. Allison will coordinate those individuals most interested in each task force and then the task forces will begin to undertake the necessary work.

Next Meetings

The next SIGCHI EC meeting will be a teleconference call on October 27th, 1997 at the standard time of 1530-1700 Universal Time Coordinated. The Winter 1997 Meeting will be held December 12th-14th, at the Crown Plaza UN in New York City. The Summer 1998 Meeting dates with the Italy SIGCHI have not been finalized, but the meeting is expected to be in Rome, Italy. David Riederman and James Vant are working with the Italy SIGCHI to finalize a date during June 1998.
 

Powered by Plone CMS, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: