Personal tools
You are here: Home 1998 Vol.30 No.3, July 1998 Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) December 12-14, 1997
Document Actions

Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) December 12-14, 1997

Face-to-face Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) Friday, December 12-Sunday, December 14, 1997 ACM Headquarters and the Crowne Plaza UN New York City, New York, U.S.A.

Face-to-face Meeting of the SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) Friday, December 12-Sunday, December 14, 1997 ACM Headquarters and the Crowne Plaza UN New York City, New York, U.S.A.

Participants

Elected Officers

Chair (non-voting), Mike Atwood
Past Chair, Jim Miller
Executive Vice-chair, Guy Boy
Vice-chair for Operations, Bob Mack
Vice-chair for Finance, Jean Scholtz
Vice-chair for Conferences, Gerrit van der Veer
Vice-chair for Publications, Dan Olsen, Jr.
Vice-chair for Communications, Cathleen Wharton (minutes)

Appointed

Advisory Board (1 vote) John Karat, Allison Druin, Richard Anderson

Non-Voting

SIGCHI Bulletin Editor-in-Chief, Steven Pemberton
ACM SIGCHI Program Director, David Riederman
SIGCHI Adjunct-chair for Public Relations, Rosemary Wick Stevens
SIGCHI Adjunct Chair for Organizational Design, Clare-Marie Karat
(These minutes were created on December 30, 1997, and approved by a vote of 8-0-0 on 13 April 1998.)

Meetings With ACM Staff Members

The SIGCHI EC spent a good portion of the first day meeting with ACM Staff Members to better understand their core areas and the work that they perform on behalf of the SIGCHI organization. A summary of the key functions and relevant parties follows.

ACM Publication Activities (Mark Mandelbaum)

Mark Mandelbaum, Director of Publications, gave an overview of ACM's publications activities. He reviewed the journals, books, CD-ROMS efforts, and then spent much of his time discussing the ACM Digital Library initiative.

The Digital Library effort is committed to capturing a full-text SGML database for text-searching and use assorted translators as needed. Currently, the Digital Library contains information from 1991 onward. It is about 95% complete and contains roughly 150K pages of material.

CHI 98 will include its materials in the Digital Library this spring. The process will work as follows.

  1. CHI 98 authors will as usual provide camera-ready copy of their submissions.
  2. These papers will then be scanned and then from the scanned version an Adobe Acrobat 3.0 (PDF Format) version of the paper will be made.
  3. The electronic version of the paper will then be put out ASAP after the CHI 98 Conference.
  4. At this same time the hard copy will be ready in time for the Conference.

Although there is the possibility for CHI 98 to also support SGML (or xGML) format, it is not guaranteed. SGML format, however, will be available for CHI 99.

All papers being added to the Digital Library are being scanned by either Sony or CADMUS. Scanning goes through two separate OCR engines and then are compared for accuracy. The OCR version is used for searching but it is the bitmap version which is downloaded and displayed.

The next phase during 1998 for the Digital Library is to capture all SIG newsletters. However, to put these online there also needs to be a formal procedure to let authors give copyright agreement for both paper and electronic form. Currently for the paper-based newsletters there is no copyright requirement.

In terms of the projected growth for ACM's Digital Library, currently ACM publishes roughly 50,000 total pages/year. Additionally, the size of proceedings are increasing with an average size at 320 pages/proceeding with a current total of about 60-65 proceedings.

The current cost is $40.00-$80.00 (U.S. Dollars) per page to make both an electronic and paper version. If paper is not needed, then the cost is about $25. The incremental cost for electronic pages is about $2.00/page.

Mark also addressed some questions regarding interactions magazine and talked about some strategic directions to enhance the publications for the SIGCHI community within ACM; e.g., the possibility of merging interactions with the SIGCHI Bulletin should SIGCHI become an official ACM society.

Design Awards (Steven Cherry)

Steven Cherry, Executive Editor of interactions, spoke to the SIGCHI EC regarding Design Awards. Design Awards are part of the ACM Awards Committee efforts. The first judging's results were printed in the May 1996 edition of interactions. The second judging's results are not known at this time. There is still committee and sponsorship work that needs to be wrapped up from the last awards contest and policies and committee members organized for moving forward with the next awards program.

SIGCHI has not traditionally been involved with the Design Awards program, but the SIGCHI EC strongly indicated their desire to be tied into the process and award program since it is squarely in our SIG's venue.

There was discussion that perhaps SIGCHI could own these awards going forward and thus take the lead in the effort. As part of this SIGCHI EC would need to draft a proposal for taking on this effort. This could be a separate committee to later be determined by a SIGCHI task force. This committee would help to initially identify the many issues and long-term policies that need to be worked out with respect to this program (e.g., videotaped usage of a system, talking to users, talking to experts, traveling to see the actual system in use that was submitted for award consideration, charging fees for entry, processes and methods used during a design review). Decisions about what to do with the Design Awards program will be followed up by the EC later this weekend.

ACM Marketing and Membership (Peter Clifford, Lillian Israel, Laura Adams, and Fred Aronson)

The ACM staff reviewed their Marketing and Membership efforts as well as shared with us some of their ideas for providing more value to SIGCHI membership.

Lillian Israel told us that ACM had just decided that SIGs can have student chapters. There are no local student SIGs presently; there are only local student chapters of ACM. She also talked about how SIGCHI might work with ACM on a student chapter contest for designing Web pages. This activity could be used as a student promotion vehicle. She also discussed company- sponsored contests (e.g., IBM sponsorship of Web-based contests for 400 students) and how ACM uses these contests to recruit students whereas the sponsor (e.g., IBM) can use the contests to recruit employees.

Laura Adams summarized the current ACM marketing activities that are underway. Key activities for 1997 include the redesign of the ACM Web page, assorted targeted mailings, recruitment of high school students, Digital Library promotions, redesign of the ACM SIG renewal guide, and the development of SIGCHI Welcome and Retention letters. Also under consideration are multi-lingual brochures (individual brochures written in languages other than English).

Lillian Israel then led a discussion regarding ideas for how ACM and SIGCHI might further partner to increase membership. Four key ideas were discussed.

  1. The SIGCHI Web pages. What does the EC see as the benefits of membership and how can we better modify these Web pages to make the benefits more salient?
  2. Currently there are four different logos on the SIGCHI Web site. Which brand are we extending?
  3. In our About SIGCHI it is not clear how a potential member would go about joining SIGCHI. The links near the bottom of the page are a bit confusing because there is a mixture of ACM and SIGCHI links which may be confusing to new members. The relationship between the two organizations needs to be better explained.
  4. How might we better provide an electronic forum among interactions groups (one of the items that has come out of some focus group studies).

Allison Druin then reviewed the membership task force proposal working document and some of the SIGCHI EC's ideas for increasing membership and for retaining new members more effectively.

From these discussions, the SIGCHI EC and ACM concluded that there needs to be more flow of information between SIGCHI and ACM to ensure that we are well aligned with each other and that we can better coordinate our efforts. Steps for moving forward were discussed and will be further pursued by the SIGCHI Membership Task Force among others.

International Concerns (Fred Aronson)

Fred Aronson, ACM Associate Director General Programs, discussed the goals and strategies for ACM's International Plan.

Currently, ACM has about 20,000 (26%) members outside of the United States. ACM (like SIGCHI) would like to make ACM activities more accessible to both members and non-members outside of the United States. Not only would this increase ACM's visibility and better its image, but also allow for dissemination of more information worldwide and a more global perspective to the information being disseminated.

As part of this discussion we talked about the soft currency issue for groups in economically disadvantaged countries, summer schools in computer science in Poland and Bulgaria, ways to enhance the ACM Lectureship Program, an International Speakers Bureau, and how to better get SIGCHI involved in the new programs being planned.

Other concerns that came up were the need to carefully address and understand our goals in light of other cultures. For example, is the goal to increase the membership of the organization, increase communication and idea sharing amongst members, the desire or ability to support national chapters, how to best match the needs of the local SIGs with their larger, parent organization. It is clear that there is not a single model of operation and organization that will work across all cultures and so we must treat each situation differently.

There was also discussion of how some of these international concerns impact our cooperating society concerns. We do not want to be seen as a catalyst for changing the direction or organizational setup within existing organizations across the various countries and cultures. Instead our goal is to augment the base of HCI knowledge world-wide and to have researchers and practitioners around the world share their ideas. Several examples from organizations and localities around the world were cited during the discussion.

Society Status (Stu Zweben, Doris Lidtke)

Stu Zweben, ACM's Past President, reviewed the history of the ACM Society issue. He highlighted three key concerns: autonomy, governance, and society naming and leadership. ACM spent much time during the course of 1997 discussing these issues, beginning with a SIG Board retreat in the Spring of 1997 and with the completion of a final report in September 1997, that was presented to the ACM Council in October of 1997. Currently the SIG Board is meeting with three large SIGs (SIGGRAPH, SIGCHI, and SIGPLAN) to get feedback on this latest version of the proposal in preparation for a February ACM Council meeting. They have already met with SIGGRAPH, are meeting now with us today, and soon will meet with SIGPLAN in January to gather their feedback.

Some of the benefits of societies were noted: respect, recognition, visibility beyond what a group can achieve as a SIG. Additionally, some groups might benefit greatly by better attracting leaders, support, members, etc. Beyond the name change from a SIG to a society, other name changes would include changing the name of Chair of a SIG to President of a Society.

The criteria for a SIG to become a society include the following. The SIG needs to be a significant technical leader in the area of education, standards, or government. The SIG needs to administer award programs where members are recognized for excellence, strong history of strong volunteer leadership and membership. The SIG needs to be able to expand beyond its own discipline and help address broader issues that allow ACM to thrive more generally. Such contributions to ACM include financial support as well as volunteer assistance toward the development of new programs.

Societies have other expectations as well. For example, it is expected that societies will "push the envelope" in terms of conferences and publications. Conferences in a society's discipline will need to be solely sponsored by the Society where the exposure and risk to the society is modest (about $100K). There would also need to be no unresolved issues for Technical Meeting Request Form (TMRF)-approved conferences, etc.

As for publications, societies would be allowed to appoint their own editors of their publications and then get approval from the ACM Publications Board (this is opposite of the current process). However, the ACM Publications Board will be the ultimate authority for ACM publications to ensure high quality and uniformity as necessary. There may be other processes that can be streamlined for societies in conjunction with the ACM Publications Board, as well. Also, it was acknowledged that the ACM Publications Board needs to continue to address the ever-changing world of publishing (especially electronic publishing, as well as how publications are reviewed and refereed).

Other recommendations from the report include giving more authority over budget expenditures to society presidents (e.g., travel for society officers and presidents, conference approval, fiduciary approval up to $500K).

In terms of governance, there are some legal concerns that societies must adhere to because of the ACM entity relationship, but there will be changes to give the technical units greater representation, especially on the ACM Council.

At this time there is a draft of constitutional amendments that will be presented to the SIG Chairs in January and that eventually will need to be approved by the general ACM membership this next Spring. In these amendments the following changes will be proposed.

For the Council there would be increased representation for the SIGs and Societies. The sixteen member Council would include President, Vice-President, a merged Secretary/Treasurer position, Past President, seven At-Large Members, the Publications Board Chair, four technical community representatives from the Technical Communities Board (currently known as the SIG Chairs Board). The voting membership of the Council would be increased to five people (the President, Vice-President, Secretary/Treasurer, Past President, and 1 Technical Communities vote). The notion of regional representatives will go away.

Jim Miller has also been working with ACM to help devise a straw proposal of the ACM Bylaws. For the Bylaws, there are a few governance items that are still unresolved, however, the current proposal is to have different voting procedures for the different types of SIGs (e.g., each SIG has one vote generally and for the larger SIGs there would be one additional vote per 1000 members). Votes from the SIGs are important during elections and policy changes. When the changes to the Bylaws are finalized, it would be necessary for the ACM Council to actually amend the Bylaws and then the ACM Executive Committee will need to accordingly modify the Operating Rules.

A few other items were also noted. For societies there will still be an allocation process in order to support the overall operating costs, but the formulas currently in use will need to change and be reviewed periodically (e.g., every 3-5 years) by the Technical Communities Board. Also, the Technical Communities Board, the ACM Council, the Technical Communities' EC and its membership will all need be involved in decisions about when a Technical Community should be sanctioned as a society.

The SIGCHI EC concluded this session by passing, by acclamation, a motion to gratefully acknowledge the hard work and efforts of the committee working on the Society issue. The motion was made by Clare-Marie Karat and seconded by Dan Olsen.

Online Membership Directory (Wayne Graves)

Wayne Graves, Director of MIS, is working on getting permission from ACM members to list them in a larger membership directory. As part of this effort, he will work with the SIGCHI Bulletin Editor to include an announcement of the same. There are many possibilities for the type of data to collect and to tie into the database for professional fields and areas of interest. Currently the Membership team is working on a straw proposal. The plan is to include only those that register to be in the directory, not to include everyone. The SIGCHI EC noted that they would like to see everyone included and that people would only not be included if the opted not to (e.g., via a checkbox on the membership renewal form).

Agenda Review and Goals of the SIGCHI EC (Mike Atwood)

Mike Atwood reviewed the remainder of this weekend's meeting agenda. In addition, he reviewed the three key goals of the SIGCHI EC.

The SIGCHI EC's three goals are:

  1. World-wide Issues Team: To continue supporting a world-wide HCI presence by actively supporting and nurturing regional and national groups, and by further developing awareness and education of cultural differences and similarities.
  2. Membership and Volunteerism Team: Attract new members and retain current members by providing value to the membership. This membership value includes individual growth and professional development.
  3. Conferences Team: Advance HCI in the world through the facilitation of conferences and information dissemination to promote HCI on a continual basis.

Baseline Budget Review (Jean Scholtz and John De Lorenzo)

John De Lorenzo, Director of SIG Financial Services, along with Jean Scholtz, reviewed the ACM Budget records and categories. John overviewed SIGCHI's trends and pointed out some items that the EC should consider further. In the materials provided to the EC were some placeholder numbers for Fiscal Year 1999. The main purpose of the meeting this weekend is to finalize the FY99 Budget. The finalized SIGCHI FY99 Budget and key discussion items follows next.

Finalize Fiscal Year 1999 Budget (Jean Scholtz)

The SIGCHI EC began the FY99 budget process with a discussion as to whether to spend down the fund balance (the surplus that results from our conferences) to get down to the minimal Fund Requirements established by ACM. Various proposals were discussed regarding how to best spend the fund balance down without taking enormous risk as always associated with large conferences or our anticipated transition to societal status. As a result of this discussion SIGCHI ended up with the following final FY99 budget. This budget reduces the surplus total and leaves us with a FY99 surplus total of ($118.7K).

The committee arrived at the final budget as detailed in table 0.

Table 0: Final Budget

(1) Revenue $440K
(2) Professional Services Expenses ($122K)
(3) Travel and Meetings Expenses ($96K)
(4) Special Projects Expenses ($129.3K)
(5) Other ACM- and Publications-Related Expenses ($211.4K)
(6) Summary of Expenses ($558.7K)

(1) Revenue

Total Revenue for FY99 = $440K

Our core revenue for FY 99 will be $275K. We do have other revenue from interest income and anticipated conference surpluses as well.

For the core revenue for FY99, there will be a small increase over 1998 that will result from a slight increase in the following items.

  • Raised the membership fee of CHI+ from $30.00 to $35.00 which will bring the revenue in that category from $56K to $65K
  • Raised the single copy sales from $30.00 to $35.00 which will bring the revenue in that category from $45K to $48K Thus, the total expected revenue increase will be $12K.

The total budgeted revenue for FY99 is $440K. This total comes from table 1.

Table 1: Revenue

(1.A) Member Dues $124K
(1.B) Member + Package $65K
(1.C) Publications $48K
(1.D) All Other Income $8K
(1.E) Interest Income $30K
(1.F) Conferences $165K
Total $440K

(2) Professional Services Expenses

Total Professional Services Budget for FY99 = ($122K)

The total budgeted expenses for FY99 for professional services is $122K. This total comes from table 2.

Table 2: Professional Services

(2.A) Conference Managers $75K
(2.B) Process Advisor $12K
(2.C) Conference Trainer $ 6K
(2.D) Site Visits $ 9K
(2.E) Web Design $20K
(2.F) Other from the CMC $ 0K 1
Total $122K

(1)
see discussion note below regarding CHIKids and Domain Activities

The subcategory of Professional Services named "Other from the CMC" is traditionally used for costs related to the CHI conferences. For example, for the FY1998 there was a $25K allotment ($12K for CHIKids volunteers who give their time at CHI and $13K for Domain Activities -- all for CHI98). (Note: there is also another $40K-$50K that is required for CHIkids, which typically comes from in-kind donations. While CHIkids is considered to be a core part of the CHI conference, as opposed to the Domain Activities which is a CHI98 innovation, the "Other from the CMC" category needs to be revisited.) Thus, this amount for FY99 is unknown at this point and hence marked as $0K for these items.

During discussion of the CMC budget request, the EC moved into executive session for a discussion of the roles and responsibilities of our conference support groups. It was decided that the CMC will review its charter with past and current CHI conference chairs and that this charter will address the final budget needs. The initial budget request was fully allocated, with a portion allocated to current activities and a portion held in reserve pending the charter review.

Also, updated in this category was the Web Design budget. In previous years this value was only $5K. For the FY99 the amount budgeted is $20K. This is one key area that the SIGCHI team felt would be a good investment of additional resources ($$$). As we better understand our needs and can get some reasonable cost estimate bids in the future we will be better able to predict this value in subsequent years. One possible, long-term strategy is to hire someone full-time as part of the ACM staff.

(3) Travel and Meetings Expenses

Total Travel and Meetings Budget for FY99 = ($96K)

We will continue to have three SIGCHI EC face-to-face meetings each year. One of these meetings (the spring meeting) will be held in conjunction with the CHI conference with no associated travel expenses reimbursed. The summer meeting will be held in New York City on odd years to coincide with the ACM New Officer Orientation and to meet with ACM staff. The third (winter) meeting will vary in where it is held, but the meeting will be used for budget review and approval. The EC will make a concerted effort to meet with Local SIGs whenever possible. The number of people attending these meetings will remain at about 15 people. These 15 people include the elected SIGCHI officers and some of SIGCHI's adjunct chairs and the advisory board members.

The location and dates of the Winter 1998 meeting need to be finalized. The Summer 1998 meeting will be held in Rome, Italy with the Italian Local SIG.

The total budgeted expenses for FY99 for travel and meetings is $96K. This total comes from table 3.

Table 3: Travel and Meetings

(3.A) EC $45K
(3.B) CMC $33K1
(3.C) All Other $18K
Total $96K

(1)
see discussion note below

Again, if there are any changes for the CMC budget based on the proposal to be prepared by the CMC then this number may be different.

(4) Special Projects Expenses

Total Special Projects Budget for FY99 = ($129.3K)

The SIGCHI Committee submitted proposals for these special projects for consideration during the final review process. A summary of these proposals is given after this Budget section.

The total budgeted expenses for FY99 for special projects is $129.3K. This total comes from table 4.

(5) Other ACM- and Publications-related Expenses

Total Other ACM and Publications Expenses for FY99 = ($211.4K)

The total budgeted expenses for FY99 other ACM- and publications-related costs. This total comes from table 5.

(6) Summary of Expenses

Total Surplus for FY99 = ($118.7K)

The overall SIGCHI EC budget, when regrouped by category is in table 6. First the name of the category is listed, then the total amount allocated to that category (in both dollar amount and overall percentage), and then next to each category or item are the SIGCHI EC people responsible for the spending in that category -- AKA the category champions.

Table 4: Special Projects Expenses

(4.A) Membership Outreach Task Force $ 3.5K
(4.B) Domain Issues Task Force $ 3.5K
(4.C) Mentoring of New Members Program $ 1.5K
(4.D) Symposium Development $ 1.2K
(4.E) SIGCHI Identity $ 4.5K
(4.F) Standards $ 1K
(4.G) Awards $ 1K
(4.H) SIGCHI Chair Discretionary Fund $50K
(4.I) Development Funds $20K
(4.J) International Issues Committee $ 7.1K
(4.K) Tutorials-To-Go $ 1K
(4.L) Local SIGS $12K
(4.M) ACM SIG Discretionary Fund Contribution $ 5K
(4.N) Information Outreach Kits $10K
(4.O) Conference Membership Survey $ 8K
Total $129.3K

Table 5: Other ACM- and Publications-related Expenses

(5.A) ACM Allocations $79K
(5.B) All Other ACM Expenses $11K
(5.C) Publications $121.4K
Total $211.4K

Table 6: Summary

Category and
Champion
Expense
(A) ACM Allocations (Scholtz) $79K
(B) All Other ACM Expenses (Scholtz) $11K
(C) Publications (Olsen) $121.4K
(D) Travel & Meetings Without CMC (Scholtz, Riederman) $63K
(E) Electronic Infrastructure (Mack) $20K
(E.1) Web Design/HCI Bibliography (Mack, Instone, Atwood) $20K
(E.2) Conference Reviewing Web Site (van der Veer) $0K deferred
(F) Membership and Volunteerism (Druin) $8.5K
(F.1) Membership Outreach Task Force (Wharton, Wick Stevens) $3.5K
(F.2) Domain Issues Task Force (Druin, Wick Stevens) $3.5K
(F.3) Mentoring of New Members Program (Druin, Scholtz) $1.5K
(G) Promotional (Riederman) $14.5K
(G.1) SIGCHI Identity (Wick Stevens) $4.5K
(G.2) Information Outreach Kits (Anderson) $10K
(H) Technical Programs (Olsen) $3.2K
(H.1) Symposium Development (Druin) $1.2K
(H.2) Tutorials-To-Go (Hewitt) $1K
(H.3) Standards (Blanchard, Karat) $1K
(I) Awards (Atwood, Wharton) $1K
(J) Development Funds (Atwood) $20K
(K) Discretionary Funds (Atwood) $55K
(K.1) SIGCHI Chair Discretionary Fund (Atwood) $50K
(K.2) ACM SIG Discretionary Fund Contribution (Atwood) $5K
(L) Local SIGs (Anderson) $12K
(M) International Issues Committee (Boy) $7.1K
(N) CMC Budget (van der Veer) $143K

Table 7: CMC Budget1

(N.1) Conference Membership Survey $ 8K
(N.2) Conference Managers $75K
(N.3) Process Advisor $12K (This is a $20K reduction)
(N.4) Conference Trainer $ 6K
(N.5) CMC Travel and Meetings $33K
(N.6) CHIKids $ 0K
(N.7) Domain Activities $ 0K
(N.8)Site Visits $ 9K
(N.9)Conference Experiments (e.g., Video Papers) $0K
(1) Reminder: The CMC Budget needs to be finalized based on a proposal from the CMC. However, this is the expected total budget for the CMC.

Summary

As part of the final discussion about the budget, the EC talked about the budget in light of our potential Society status. The EC reviewed the key items necessary to be a Society: significant technical leaders with an emphasis on education, standards, or government; recognized awards for excellence, a strong history of strong volunteer leadership and membership. The EC thought it important that we be able to tell a story as to how the above budget items, our conference programs, and development fund proposals funded to date make us good candidates for societal status. The EC will put together to meet this goal and clearly indicate the risks and rewards as necessary.

Table 8: Summary

(A) Total Revenue for FY99 $440K
(B) Total Expenses for FY99 ($558.7K)
Grand Total for FY99 ($118.7K)

The SIGCHI EC voted to approve the final FY99 Budget. The motion was made by Dan Olsen and seconded by Gerrit van der Veer. The motion passed 8-0-0.

Special Projects Proposals (Jean Scholtz, David Riederman)

Below is a list of the special projects put forth for consideration by the ACM SIGCHI EC. Underneath each project is the final funding amount for the FY99 Budget.

New Members Mentoring Program

Submitted By: Allison Druin and Jean Scholtz
Program Champions: Allison Druin, Jean Scholtz
Proposed Budget: $4,400
Short Description: A membership retention program aimed at first year members by helping new members feel better connected to the SIGCHI community quickly.
Amount Funded for FY99: $1.5K

Domain Issues in HCI

Submitted By: Allison Druin
Program Champions: Allison Druin and Rosemary Wick Stevens
Proposed Budget: $3,500
Short Description: A task force to better address Domain Issues in HCI and to better involve SIGCHI members in targeted working groups.
Amount Funded for FY99: $3.5K

Industry Issues

Submitted By: Allison Druin
Program Champions: Bob Mack
Proposed Budget: $3,500
Short Description: A task force to better address Industry Issues in HCI and to better involve SIGCHI members from industry.
Amount Funded for FY99: $0K

Membership Outreach

Submitted by: Allison Druin
Program Champions: Cathleen Wharton and Rosemary Wick Stevens
Proposed Budget: $3,500
Short Description: A task force to better address General Membership Issues by reaching out to SIGCHI's diverse community and supporting an active general membership.
Amount Funded for FY99: $3.5K

Government Agency Issues

Submitted By: Allison Druin
Program Champions: Jean Scholtz
Proposed Budget: $3,500
Short Description: A task force to better address Government Agency Issues in HCI and to better involve SIGCHI members from governmental agencies.
Amount Funded for FY99: $0K

SIGCHI Market Research Project

Submitted By: Rosemary Wick Stevens
Program Champions: Rosemary Wick Stevens, Mike Atwood, Cathleen Wharton
Proposed Budget: $15,000
Short Description: Continuous research concerning both SIGCHI members' and non-members' likes, dislikes, desires, and needs of SIGCHI.
Amount Funded for FY99: $0K

New Identity for SIGCHI

Submitted By: Rosemary Wick Stevens
Program Champions: Rosemary Wick Stevens, Mike Atwood, Jim Miller
Proposed Budget: $1,200-$4,500
Short Description: Obtain a readily recognizable, appealing graphical identity for SIGCHI.
Amount Funded for FY99: $4.5K

ACM SIGCHI Advertisements

Submitted By: Rosemary Wick Stevens
Program Champions: Rosemary Wick Stevens, Mike Atwood
Proposed Budget: $12,000
Short Description: Interest new audiences in SIGCHI; new individuals become members; raise overall visibility of SIGCHI.
Amount Funded for FY99: $0K

Symposium Development

Submitted By: Allison Druin, Jenny Preece, Lisa Neal
Program Champions: Jenny Preece, Lisa Neal, Allison Druin
Proposed Budget: $1,200
Short Description: Development of a new HCI symposium that looks at the design of new technologies for education.
Amount Funded for FY99: $1.2K

Usability Process Workshop

Submitted By: Jean Scholtz, Keith Butler
Program Champion: Jean Scholtz
Proposed Budget: $5,500
Short Description: Define a statement of direction to request vendors to report results from usability testing as part of the information on (particularly) commercial off-the-shelf end-user software products.
Amount Funded for FY99: See the section on Development Fund Proposals Later in these notes.

International Issues Committee

Submitted By: Guy Boy
Program Champion: Guy Boy
Proposed Budget: $7,100
Short Description: To form a permanent committee comprised of SIGCHI members worldwide to advise the SIGCHI EC on international issues related to HCI.
Amount Funded for FY99: $7.1K

Enhancement of the Conference Reviewing Website

Submitted By: Marian Williams
Program Champion: Marian Williams
Proposed Budget: $75,000
Short Description: To enhance the CHI 98 reviewer database developed by Lotus/IBM to make it of use for CHI 99 and later conferences.
Amount Funded for FY99: $0K-deferred

New Equipment for SIGCHI

Submitted By: Cathleen Wharton
Program Champion: Cathleen Wharton
Proposed Budget: $4,100 +
Short Description: To upgrade the existing technology provided by ACM SIGCHI for use by the Vice-Chair of Communications. Amount Funded for FY99: $0K -- there was actually a Technology Upgrade budget in the FY98 budget, so this item will be funded under FY98 instead.
Amount funded $4.1K +.

Tutorials to Go

Submitted By: Tom Hewett
Program Champion: Bob Mack for Tom Hewett
Proposed Budget: $1,000
Short Description: To provide continuing education opportunities to local organizations and small HCI-related conferences around the world using an offering of one or more days of tutorials which have a proven track record.
Amount Funded for FY99: $1K

Local SIGs

Submitted By: Richard Anderson
Program Champion: Richard Anderson
Proposed Budget: $18,000 + an unestimated amount
Short Description: To increase the visibility of Local SIGs, provide HCI materials, guidance, other mechanisms of support, and funds as necessary to facilitate the start-up, restart, or expansion of Local SIGs.
Amount Funded for FY99: $12K

Development Fund Proposals (Bob Mack, Dan Olsen, Steven Pemberton)

There was one Development Fund Proposal under consideration. This proposal was not accepted and funded as it is currently defined because it involves primarily (or only) consultants. This proposal will need to be modified and resubmitted for further consideration.

Members of SIGCHI EC and EEC (Mike Atwood)

Mike Atwood summarized which positions currently are part of the SIGCHI EC and which are part of the SIGCHI EEC (the SIGCHI Extended Executive Committee).

The SIGCHI EC consists our elected officers, the advisory board (which is comprised of three members), the SIGCHI Bulletin editor, and invited adjunct chairs.

The SIGCHI EEC consists of the SIGCHI EC and all other adjunct chairs.

Our SIGCHI E-mail listserves should also reflect this structure.

Conference Management Committee Report (Gerrit van der Veer)

Gerrit gave an update regarding the various SIGCHI sponsored conferences. First he gave a quick update on CHI 98 and noted that all planning is on track and that things are going well. He noted in particular that the CHI 98 Reviewer Database worked Well and that the collection of reviewers was fairly international, With about 40% from non-North American countries. (An update about the CHI 98 Plenary Speakers is also given later in these minutes.)

CHI 99 planning is also now underway. Currently they are working on the selection of their committee members and their budget. CHI 99 will be held in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. Pittsburgh was voted as the most livable city in the United States circa 1984. The CHI 99 team is also finalizing their new video policy.

Future sites for the CHI conference after CHI 99 have also been selected or are currently being evaluated. CHI 2000 will be held April 1-6 in The Hague, in the Netherlands. One reason that The Hague was selected was for its international interactions and business.

CHI 2001-2003 will be held in locations to be decided during in the next calendar year. CHI 2001 will be held on the West Coast. CHI 2002 will be held in the central United States or Canada. CHI 2003 will be held on the East Coast or Canada.

As for CHI 2004, there is the possibility that it will be held in Asia, perhaps on the Pacific Rim.

Gerrit also gave the SIGCHI EC an update on some of the smaller conferences that SIGCHI either sponsors or co-sponsors. A list of these conferences and SIGCHI's sponsorship status follows.

SIGCHI has "Sponsorship" or "Co-Sponsorship" status for the following conferences.

  • CSCW, November 1998, co-sponsored w/ SIGGROUP
  • IUI, January 1998, co-sponsored w/ SIGART
  • DIS, August 1999, SIGCHI-only sponsorship
  • VRST, November 1998, co-sponsored w/ SIGGRAPH
  • UIST, November 1998, co-sponsored w/ SIGGRAPH
  • UIST, November 1999, co-sponsored w/ SIGGRAPH
  • ESP, June 99, SIGCHI-only sponsorship

SIGCHI has an "In Cooperation" status for the following conferences.

  • HCI in Aeronautics, May 1998
  • International Association of Cooperative Buildings, February 1998
  • Advanced Visual Interfaces, May 1998
  • SIGCHI has an "In Coordination With" status for the following conferences.
  • Assets 1998, Marina Del Rey, California, USA
  • ACM Policy 1998, Washington, DC, USA (SIGCHI's Liaison to the ACM Policy Conference for 1998 is Austin Henderson)

CHI 98 Plenary Speakers (Clare-Marie Karat)

Clare-Marie updated the SIGCHI EC with the names for the five plenary speakers for CHI 98. These plenary speakers follow.

CHI 98 will feature the standard opening and closing plenary speakers.

  • Opening Plenary: Ben Shneiderman who will speak on the future of documents
  • Closing Plenary: Brenda Laurel who will speak on the subject of storytelling and bridging a future to HCI

Additionally, to better inform the CHI 98 attendees about each of the Domains, domain-oriented plenaries will be given over the lunch hour (1230-1400) each day of the conference. These speakers follow.

  • Tuesday: Education Domain -- Alan Kay
  • Wednesday: Health Care -- Dr. Michael Kahn
  • Thursday: Entertainment -- Mark Swain

SIGCHI Volunteers (Bob Mack)

Bob Mack is looking at the roles that SIGCHI Volunteers and SIGCHI Contractors can play when working on the SIGCHI Web Site and when providing conference support. Bob is discussing these concerns with Keith Instone, our current contractor, to understand how we might best support SIGCHI's needs going forward.

SIGCHI Awards (Mike Atwood)

Mike Atwood is seeking nominations from the SIGCHI EC for people who should be acknowledged for their contributions to the SIGCHI community through SIGCHI Awards to be presented at CHI 98. Typically, SIGCHI Awards are given for service, but other Ad Hoc Awards are possible.

Jim Miller also brought up the notion of establishing SIGCHI Fellows Awards and how we should also make sure that we are nominating HCI people for ACM Awards. These suggestions will also further discussed by the much needed Awards Committee to determine how we best should handle all SIGCHI-relevant awards (i.e., the Design Awards, as well as those noted above) going forward.

Membership Retention Letters (David Riederman)

David Riederman, in conjunction with ACM has been working on some new Welcome and Membership Retention letters. The SIGCHI EC was given drafts of these letters for their review and feedback.

SIGCHI Mission Statement (Mike Atwood)

SIGCHI is required to have a mission statement for ACM. We have agreed by acclamation to adopt our scope statement shown on the inside cover of the Bulletin as our mission statement at this time. Thus, the SIGCHI mission statement will read: "The scope of Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction (SIGCHI) is the study of human factors in the human-computer interaction process, including research, design, development, and evaluation of interactive computing systems. The focus is on human communication and interaction with computer systems. SIGCHI provides a forum for the exchange of ideas among computer scientists, behavioral and cognitive scientists, system designers, and end users, and it serves as a clearing house of information for the field of human factors and user psychology research and development."

Affirm Conference Call Votes (Cathleen Wharton)

Cathleen Wharton read back all SIGCHI EC voting records recorded since the last face-to-face meeting of the EC (at the beginning of August, 1997). The SIGCHI EC then acknowledged by a vote of 8-0-0 that all voting records were accurate. This affirmation of voting records occurs at each face-to-face meeting of the SIGCHI EC.

CHI 98 Activities (Mike Atwood, Clare-Marie Karat)

Clare-Marie Karat and Mike Atwood gave us an update regarding the planned CHI 98 Activities. Some of these key activities follow.

  • The newcomer's orientation will be held 10:00 AM-11:00 AM on Tuesday during CHI 98. All SIGCHI officers are welcome.
  • The Annual Business Meeting will be held on Wednesday night 6:15PM-7:15PM. All SIGCHI Officers should be at this meeting and will give reports as necessary.
  • The Annual Volunteer Appreciation Reception will be held following the Business Meeting.
  • The SIGCHI EC meeting will be held on Friday, April 24th, 1998 and Saturday April 25th, 1998. The EC meeting will adjourn at 3:00PM on the 25th.

Membership Fees (Mike Atwood)

SIGCHI and ACM are looking into ways to best reduce fees for economically disadvantaged countries. Currently, ACM provides a discount where the fees for a full member are $50 for a group of five people with 5 votes, 5 discounts to conferences, and 1 set of publications. Additional people are $10/person, but the group can have at most 9 people in it at a maximum. It was noted that there is no financial impact to SIGCHI if we allow 5 people to pay this same fee with only 1 set of publications.

Following this discussion, a motion was made by John Karat, and seconded by Gerrit van der Veer, to have SIGCHI participate in ACM's designated group membership program at our standard SIGCHI membership rate. The vote passed 7-0-0. John Karat will contact Fred Aronson to have SIGCHI incorporated into this program.

It was also decided that SIGCHI will lobby ACM to broaden their list of countries that they consider to be economically disadvantaged. Currently, China, India, and countries in Eastern & Central Europe are considered under this program.

Other reasons for reducing the fees were also discussed (e.g., retired or unemployed people). David Riederman will use his expertise to investigate how other associations handle similar situations and at a future business meeting we will discuss this topic further.

The SIGCHI EC discussed whether it might be possible to reduce fees for Local SIGs. The EC discussed the benefits of joining Local SIGs beyond the benefits of belonging to SIGCHI generally. For example, BayCHI was cited for its excellent speaker series and networking opportunities. Also, Local SIGs located in other countries may benefit from sharing a common (non-English) language.

The EC also discussed the Local SIG policy for ACM and SIGCHI. To be in an ACM Local SIG one must be an ACM member, however, this same policy does not hold for SIGCHI: Local SIG members do not need to be a member of the larger SIGCHI or ACM organizations. The SIGCHI EC will continue to discuss whether reduced fees for Local SIGs might be appropriate for both SIGCHI and ACM.

International Task Force (Guy Boy)

Guy Boy reviewed his final report on the International Task Force. He noted that "language" was one of the key items discussed frequently throughout the year as were the costs of HCI materials and memberships. Other key items that came up were the creation of a CHI-intercultural listserve and the idea to broaden current HCI summer schools to other areas so as to facilitate the mobility of researchers to visit other locations.

The primary recommendation of the task force was to form an International SIGCHI Committee as he has proposed to the SIGCHI EC this weekend in his budget proposal. John Karat has agreed that he will share this report with IFIP as well. Guy will continue to edit this report (it is a penultimate draft now) and then send it to Steven for publication in the ACM SIGCHI Bulletin.

Guy also noted that David Novick contributed significantly to the Task Force effort.

Local SIGs (Richard Anderson)

Local SIGs are growing at a rapid pace. In fact, another chapter was just chartered "SwissCHI" -- the name for the Local Switzerland SIG. Richard reminded everyone to refer to the listing of all Local SIGs published in the SIGCHI Bulletin and on the SIGCHI Web Site. The Local SIGs Web Page is most up to date because of this rapid growth and currently there are about 30 Local SIGs. It was also noted that technically our Local SIGs are also ACM Local SIGs.

Interest in local activities is increasing rapidly, with a corresponding increase in the number of chartered and prospective SIGCHI Local SIGs. Local SIGs have already provided important programs and services and opportunities to thousands of people. Yet, the relationship between Local SIGs and SIGCHI is not a close one. Richard reported on some of his efforts to provide greater support to Local SIGs, and he will expand on this and on possible ways to bring Local SIGs and SIGCHI closer together -- to the benefit of both -- at the Summer 98 meeting in Rome. Plus, he and Maria Francesca Costabile (SIGCHI Italy Chair) will be planning the get-together of the SIGCHI EC and SIGCHI Italy -- the first of what will hopefully be a series of substantive get-togethers with Local SIGs.

Cooperating Societies (Jim Miller)

Jim Miller discussed the benefits of being a cooperating society (ACM SIGCHI to other organizations and vice-versa) and how we might better make use of these opportunities and synergies. He also noted some of the various types of bi-directional (not asymmetric) relationships that we might pursue to make such cooperating society agreements to bring more value to both societies. That is, by becoming cooperating societies, we should have increased influence and not decreased influence. For example, we should be able to go beyond paying the members-only fees as conferences sponsored by societies, and instead be able to better share mailing lists and form other strategic partnerships. Jim, with significant contributions from Michael Tauber, has also put together a draft memo of a model for SIGCHI as a cooperating society. Jim will next present this draft report to the CMC for discussion and then bring it back to the EC for further consideration.

Membership Directory (John Karat)

John Karat reviewed the status of his discussions with ACM regarding the creation of a membership directory. This directory is akin to the one put out by the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, but is an online version of the same. There is still discussion about how this directory might be designed to best support the membership, especially as to what it might include about each member that is public information or be considered information to members only. John will continue to update the SIGCHI EC regarding current ACM plans and how SIGCHI might best tie into this effort. There was discussion about how SIGCHI might also tie into some of the Local SIGs' membership directories, e.g., BuckCHI. This may also be an issue for the Membership Task Force to pursue at some later point.

SIGCHI Bulletin and interactions Magazine (Steven Pemberton)

The SIGCHI EC discussed how we might merge the two separate publications of the SIGCHI Bulletin and interactions magazine into a single publication. This would be highly desirable if we become an ACM Society.

Assuming such a transition then we would need to identify who might be interested in working on the Bulletin, even if it is only for a limited time (during the transition period). We would also need to determine what transition path would be available for the Bulletin editor. We may also want to consider using paid editors for a temporary solution. Of course, this would mean that a budget would need to be used for the same. We will discuss this issue more as we better understand the possible merger and the "Society" issue.

Steven also updated the SIGCHI EC regarding the two year experiment with putting the SIGCHI Bulletin online. The last issue for the experiment went online with the October, 1997 edition. As a reminder, the most current issue is available to members only and not to non-SIGCHI members. As of this date, we don't have the necessary Web usage statistics to determine the final usage analysis. Steven will product a written report of this experiment for the ACM Publications Board and include any statistics that he has.

The SIGCHI EC also voted on a motion to make the online version of the SIGCHI Bulletin a permanent part of the SIGCHI Web Site in addition to continuing on with the paper-based version. This motion was made by Allison Druin and seconded by Gerrit van der Veer. The motion passed 7-0-0. The SIGCHI EC also agreed to continue to make the latest issue available only to current SIGCHI members.

On a related point, Steven noted that since many (non-US) readers receive their Bulletins up to a month after the publication date, he would like to propose naming the Bulletin editions by number (1, 2, 3, 4) instead of by Month (January, April, July, October). Steven will work with the Publication Board on this name change.

Also, a motion was made by Allison Druin and seconded by Jim Miller to thank Steven Pemberton for his excellent work and continued contributions to the SIGCHI Bulletin. The motion was accepted by the SIGCHI EC by acclamation.

Funding SIGCHI's Task Forces (Allison Druin)

The SIGCHI EC discussed how to best proceed with the new SIGCHI Task Forces. It was noted that although the funds being sought for these task forces officially fall into the 1999 budget cycle, if we should require funds prior to that time, we might be able to use some of the SIGCHI discretionary funds in the interim. Any task forces requiring such funds should contact Mike Atwood as necessary.

SIGCHI Web Site and Tracking Proposals (All)

On a related point, the suggestion was made that over the course of the next year we should put our task force budgets and any new proposals online (on an internal SIGCHI EC Web Site) so that we can better track funding, combine similar proposal ideas and budget items, etc. This issue will be discussed further in later SIGCHI meetings and be added to a list of items for a SIGCHI Web Site wish list.

SIGCHI Web Site Translation and ACM Site Mirroring (Steven Pemberton)

Steven Pemberton reported that ACM will not be establishing mirror sites, due to problems with licensing and replicating the live database. Instead they are investigating other techniques for improving connections, including dedicated links with other countries.

Steven also noted that we are proceeding with the server in Russia and that we will do multiple language versions of the SIGCHI site. As of this date, the necessary details have been worked out with the ACM organization, however, the next step of language translation must now be done. This translation will be accomplished by redirecting the user according to selected language choice, and through the use of volunteer translators. These volunteer translators will get e-mail re any updates so that they can accordingly update the relevant materials into their native language. Volunteers have yet to be identified and the first step will be to translate the top-level main page.

Next Meetings (David Riederman)

The SIGCHI EC discussed the remaining upcoming, face-to-face meetings that will occur between now and the end of the current officer's term of office. The purpose, location, and dates for these meetings were identified as below.

Spring 1998: Los Angeles, California, USA; immediately after the CHI 98 Conference. The meeting will only be a two day meeting (instead of the normal three days) and will occur on Friday, April 24 and Saturday, April 25. The Saturday meeting will end at approximately 3:00PM. Additionally, we will meet on Wednesday night, at the conference.

Summer 1998: Rome, Italy; Friday, July 31-Sunday, August 2. Approximate begin time is 9:00 AM Friday with an approximate 3:00 PM end time on Sunday.

Winter 1998: In the United States; Meeting will tentatively be held on one of the weekends of November 13-15, November 20-22, or December 11-13, with the preferred dates in the same order as noted. If we would like to meet with a Local SIG for this meeting, then this SIG needs to be identified. David will look into appropriate locations for this meeting and get back with the SIGCHI EC as appropriate.

Spring 1999: To be held in conjunction with CHI 99, May 15-20, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.

Summer 1999: Handoff meeting with the newly elected SIGCHI EC with the newly elected SIGCHI EC at ACM Headquarters.

The next meeting of the SIGCHI EC will be a teleconference call on January 26, 1998 1:30PM EST, 17:30 UTC.


 

Powered by Plone CMS, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: